Rasberry Pruning (Wrong Canes) - Knowledgebase Question

Cary, Il
Question by tomrzimmerma
I recently moved into a home which has a row of medium sized rasberry bushes on the NW side of the garage (good sun). Before reading about raspberry pruning I went in and pruned (cut down) the primocanes to the ground and saved the canes that have already produced. I thought they were weeds over taking the plants. I now know that this was completely wrong. How can I save my rasberries

0

You didn't really hurt the plants by cutting the primocanes off but you won't get any berries for a while! Just leave whatever is on the plants alone - so any leaves the stems have can help the roots of your plants gather and store energy for growing next year. In the spring you can prune away the dead canes. You'll get flowering canes in a year or two so don't despair!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"