Onions - Knowledgebase Question

Mesick, Mi
Question by brehmerjaso
I have about 20 growing onions on the side of the hill. Most of the bulbs are small or lack-therof. The soil is what I'm afraid of, its mostly sand. I want to transplant them do a better part of my garden. I think the soil is better, dark, crumbly, stays moist when yet and lots of worms. Is this OK to do?

0

It might be difficult to dig and relocate the onions once they are established in the ground. You can try, though. As long as you keep the roots attached to the plants they should recover from the transplant process. Onions won't begin to bulb until late in the season so you might be premature in your harvesting if you are digging them up now. Usually they begin to form bulbs in late summer, early fall. When the tops turn yellow it indicates they are ready for harvest. If they were mine, I'd leave them where they are for this year. Next year you can plant in a different location. Good luck with your onions.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"