Lima Bans - Knowledgebase Question

Alexandria, Vi
Question by marcieluddek
Many of my lima beans leaves have a red coating on much of the leaf. It is a very dark red. I can not rinse it off; it does not come off easily with my gloves. It does not appear to effect the beans. It is not on the green beans leaves planted next to the lima beans.

0

What you describe sounds like a reaction from the lima bean leaves to feeding by mites. When the mites feed they leave behind a chemical which causes the plant tissues to develop their own chemical defenses. The red you see is the collection of theses chemicals, battling it out and trying to seal off the damage. The mites may be gone by now so no control will be necessary, but check the undersides of the leaves for webbing or stippling or tiny little mites. If you find any, hose them off with a strong stream of water. Best wishes with your lima beans.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"