Diagnosing disease, deficiencies, pests - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, Ne
Question by paulbasile
Hello I've three little issues going on in my Brooklyn garden right now.
1 - my cucumbers have been mostly unproductive. those fruits that i have gotten have been short and fat with a pointy end. also, many of the leaves are yellowing. they are potted and climbing a trellis.
I can't figure out what this is... a nitrogen deficiency? not enough water?
Thanks
P

0

If your cucumbers are short, fat and have a pointy end, it sounds like pollination problems. This is especially true if the blossom end is shrivelled or "pointy". Poor pollination can be due to weather or lack of insect activity in the garden. Cucumber plants often lose their lowest, oldest leaves so if that's what you are seeing, it's probably normal. If the newer leaves are yellowing it can mean inconsistent watering (most often overwatering) or a need for fertilizer. Why not feed your plants with a half strength dilution of a liquid fertilizer (don't apply too much - plants in containers are subject to fertilizer burn) and try to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. Hope the future fruits are more cucumber like!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"