Goji Berries! - Knowledgebase Question

Watertown, Co
Question by holycrosskid
I have a 50x50 foot plot of land that i would like to grow all goji berry shrubs in. I need to know everything there is about taking care of something of that caliber (like amount of water/soil/fertilizers/pests) Thank you so much for answering all my questions!

0

Goji Berries are also known as Lycium Barbarum or Chinese Wolfberry. The plants are deciduous, woody perennials and are very adaptable. They like lots of sun, preferring climates that are hot and dry in the summer, but they will grow just about anywhere, including in humid climates.

Use a shovel to dig a hole that is 2 feet deep and twice as wide as the container that your goji-berry bush is currently in. Mix half of the excavated soil with an equal amount of aged compost. Plant your bush so it is at the same soil level as it was in the nursery container and back fill with soil, tamping it down to exclude air pockets. Water to settle the soil and then spread a 3-inch layer of leaf-mold mulch around the base of the plant, but keep it at least 4 inches away from the stem of the bush on all sides.

Keep your goji bush's soil moist with regular watering until it establishes itself in 2 to 3 weeks. After it is established, cut watering back to once every 10 to 14 days. Once the goji berry is one year old it is quite drought hardy and will only need to be watered occasionally if the weather is dry.

Prune the goji-berry bush in early spring when it gets larger than 8 to 10 feet around and when the vines spread more than 12 feet from the center. This will not only make them more attractive, but increase goji berry production. Fertilizer is not required and there are no reported disease or insect pests to look out for.

Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"