Cherry Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Garden Grove, Ca
Question by suzy61crafts
My cherry tree's leaves are turning brown and falling off, only about 6 leaves left on my tree. I water about 3 times a week. What can I do to help keep my tree healthy, oh and I bought and planted it just in April.

0

If the leaves are still soft but turning brown it can indicate overwatering (or poorly draining soils) or might indicate a disease called brown rot. Unless your tree is in a container, watering 3 times a week is excessive. It should be watered deeply once each week to encourage a deep root system. The best way to water your cherry tree is to make a watering well or watering basin beneath the tree. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way concentrates the water directly over the root system and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. Once a week is all your tree will need - it's important that the soil dry out slightly between waterings. If the soil remains too wet, root rot can develop. Try adjusting your watering. If the roots are healthy you'll see an improvement in the appearance and growth of your tree.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"