Semi-Shaded Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Covington, Lo
Question by cupid1027
Right next to my front door, there is an area (4' x 4') that only gets about 3-4 hours of afternoon sunlight each day. I'm looking for something with visual appeal that is tall (4' - 10') that will grow well in these conditions. I would prefer it be something that doesn't die back during winter, but that's not a necessity.

0

Here are a few of my favorites for year around appeal:
Christmas Berry or Toyon (or California holly) is an evergreen shrub that can reach the height of about 6-8 feet, and a width of about 4-5 feet. The red berries make a delightful sight in winter, while the white flowers are gently protected by the finely-toothed leaves in summer - they have hawthorn-like scent.

Nandina, or Heavenly Bamboo grows 5-7 feet tall but is not a bamboo, at all. It is a popular evergreen hedge with beautiful fall and winter leaves and berries, and showy clusters of white flowers blooming in spring. The foliage begins a reddish color then turns green so there's interest all year around. It's practically maintenance free.

Red Banana tree (als called Cuban Red banana tree, Jamaican Red banana tree, Indio, Macaboo, etc) is a lady finger banana plant type. It turns "sunset" colors, from dark burgundy to orange, yellow-green and mutated colors in between. The fruit has a full bodied flavor and distinctive sweetness. The dwarf Red banana tree grows 6 ft. to 8'.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"