zoysia vs. bermuda grass - Knowledgebase Question

Gaithersburg, Ma
Question by micvic47
follow up question: i have a yard that has zoysia, which i am trying to establish yard wide. in areas where there is no zoysia, bermuda grass has come in as an invasive weed grass. since the zoysia sends out rhizomes underground and gets quite full, and the bermuda sends our rhizomes above ground, but grows less thick but gets thicker over time, which one will crowd the other out and take over?

0

Zoysia grass may be slow, but it is sure. It grows so thickly that over time it gradually out-competes Bermuda grass. I expect that within 5 years, your zoysia will outcompete the bermuda grass. Since bermuda grass roots can reach 4' deep, it's unlikely that you can effectively dig it out. I'd just allow the two grass types to co-mingle. Eventually the Zoysia will win out. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"