ginger - Knowledgebase Question

Slidell, Lo
Question by sheryldwyer
I'm trying to locate a name of a ginger that was given to me that has a pinecone flower to add to my library. Thanks.

0

Zingiber zerumbet is called pinecone ginger and it grows to about 7 ft tall with long narrow leaves arranged oppositely along the stem. In mid to late summer, separate stalks grow out of the ground with green cone-shaped bracts that resemble pinecones. The green cone turns red over a couple of weeks and then small creamy yellow flowers appear on the cone. In some locales this plant is known as the "pinecone ginger", but it is most widely known as the "shampoo ginger" for the creamy liquid substance in the cones.

The cultivar 'Darceyi' (sometimes incorrectly named Zingiber darceyi or Zingiber d'Arceyi) has green and creamy white variegated foliage, and only grows to about 4 feet tall. Cones are produced similar to the species. There is a cultivar called 'Dwarf Waimanalo Pinstripeshell' with beautiful white pinstripes that mark the entire green leaves.

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"