Beef tomatoes don't have fruit - Knowledgebase Question

Banning, Ca
Question by butterfly_ms
Hello,
I have organic garden. My beef tomatoes are blooming, but not producing fruits. There is no sign of any disease. Also, my squash has only male flowers, but no female flowers, therefore no fruits. Thanks for your help.

0

Sounds like you've done and are doing everything right so I understand your frustration when the plants fail to produce. A couple possibilities come to mind: Tomato pollen isn't viable when temperatures are much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. The good news is that once a plant begins to set fruit, others usually follow. So at this point it's a bit of a waiting game. Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated. There aren't as many pollinators around as in past years. Try gently tapping and shaking your plants in the early morning to see if you can get the pollen to move to the female parts of the flowers so some fruit to set.

It's normal for squash to set male blossoms before they set female blossoms but as the plants mature they should begin setting female blossoms. There's not much you can do to encourage them to set female blossoms so you'll have to play a waiting game. Eventually it will set both male and female blossoms.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"