Elephant Ears - Knowledgebase Question

St Paul, Mi
Question by kschwartzbau
Could you tell me why my Elephant ears leaves are getting brown splotches on them? To much sun? To much water? And what can I do? My plants are huge.

0

Brown blotches can indicate sunscald, especially if the problem is with the most exposed leaves (under leaves won't be affected) and if the areas eventually turn gray which indicates dead tissue. If the blotches spread to the entire leaf, it's most likey caused by fungi or bacteria. In this case, the brown or black spots and patches may be either ragged or circular, with a water soaked or yellow-edged appearance. Insects, rain, dirty garden tools, or even people can help its spread.

The best approach for disease is to remove the infected leaves when the plant is dry. Leaves that collect around the base of the plant should be raked up and disposed of. To avoid, keep overhead irrigation to a minimum; water should be directed at soil level. For fungal leaf spots, use a general purpose garden fungicide according to label directions.

Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"