Beetle Help! - Knowledgebase Question

Pemberton, Ne
Question by lkadams55
Any suggestions for Japanese beetles on roses? I've sprayed regularly, top & bottom of leaves & now buds w/Bayer 3 in 1. Used systemic in begin. of season. Cut & trim leaves as suggested. Removed beetles - They seem to love 1 of my hybrid roses.At wits end! Suggestions please. Thank you in advance!

0

How frustrating! It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. You are seeing the adults which were grubs in your lawn and garden earlier this year. So, you'll want to control both the adults you're seeing now, and any grubs that may overwinter in your soil. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate or Rose Defense) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate). All are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on landscape plants. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"