Peeling bark on newly planted tree - Knowledgebase Question

Shavertown, Pe
Question by lmellner
I have a dogwood tree planted just a few weeks ago by a nursery. The bark is peeling from the base to the first branch. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

0

Since it's a new tree, it may be simply adjusting to its new spot in the landscape. Bark splitting and peeling can occur in response to various environmental factors at different times of the year. Trees which are most susceptible to this type of injury are those with thin bark, such as dogwoods and newly planted trees or young trees are more prone to bark-splitting and peeling. Bark splits are not likely to be fatal to trees, although they will, in some cases, allow entry of disease organisms which can cause decay. At this point, I'd just wait and watch. If the condition gets worse within the next few months, you may want to replace the tree. If the peeling doesn't seem to get any worse over the summer months you can place a plastic tree wrap over the trunk to keep it from developing sunburn during the winter months. When your tree matures a little more and the bark thickens up on the trunk, you shouldn't have any more problems with the peeling or splitting. Good luck with your new dogwood.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"