To Wet or To Dry - Knowledgebase Question

Wildomar, Ca
Question by fbksfoxylady
We have several New Zealand Flax and Cordyline shrubs and even though they test wet with a moisture meter the leaves are turning brown/yellow and crispy. Do they need more water? They were doing fine until the 100

0

I suspect the dry air is doing a number on the leaves of your plants. It might also be that they are stress from overly wet soil. While they do like a consistent amount of moisture, soils that test wet with a meter may be holding too much moisture down where the roots are. I use my finger to check the moisture in the soil. Water as usual then wait 3-4 days and stick your finger down into the soil. If it is still moist an inch beneath the surface you won't need to water for a few more days; if it feels dry, it's time to water again. I'd cut away the affected foliage to make the plants look more attractive and to encourage the development of new leaves. You might try misting the plants when the temperatures are hot, to increase humidity around the plants. I hope you see an improvement soon!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"