Elephant ear plant (indoors) - Knowledgebase Question

Newbury Park, Ca
Question by jaymillertim
I have 3 Elephant ear plants 1 3ft and 2 1ft size plants all kept indoors partial sun.

My question is what is the ideal soil and fertilizer I should use? Currently using Miracle Grow moisture control soil and Osmocote Plus granules. Is that sufficient?
Also, one of the leaves on the larger plant is becoming brown spots with yellow outlines.

Soil is moist but not soaked. Thoughts? Thanks!!!

0

The potting soil and fertilizer sounds just right for your plants. I can't diagnose the spots on the leaves without having a chance to examine them but there are a couple of possibilities - sunscald from direct sunshine or bacterial/fungal spots. The brown areas outlined with yellow indicate the tissue is dead/dying. If the spots spread, they are a sign of disease. If the spots remain roughly the same size they are most likely sunscald. You can minimize the development of fungal leaf spots by watering only the soil, not the leaves and you can prune off the affected leaves and use a fungicide to keep the disease from spreading. Enjoy your beautiful plants!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"