Pride of Barbados - Knowledgebase Question

Katy, Te
Question by sheilabradfo
I live in Katy, near Houston,TX, and just purchased this shrub after searching for 2 years. It is spring to summer bloomer and has flowers even now in 95 deg.heat.Requires 4-6 hrs. of sun. Can I plant it in this heat or should I transplant it into larger pot, so I can move it, until next Spring??

0

Summer is probably the most stressful time for plants so I don't think you should plant it right now. The best way to keep your new plant stress free is to dig a hole where you want to plant it but instead of unpotting it, sink the pot down into the soil. Make sure the rim of the pot is covered by soil, but don't place additional soil around the stem of your plant. This way your Pride of Barbados will continue to flower and grow well for you instead of going into a period of shock if you remove the nursery pot. Burying the nursery pot will keep the roots cool (as opposed to sitting above ground level). In early September you can pull it up out of the ground, remove the nursery pot, and gently set the root mass into the ground. It will barely know it's been planted. Best wishes with your new plant!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"