Crepe myrtle tree - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by MMLARSEN3
I bought a single-trunk purple crepe myrtle tree last summer. It hasn't bloomed much this year, the leaves are somewhat folded down the center & the tips of the leaves are brown. What am I doing wrong?

0

Crape Myrtles are usually reliable summer bloomers, but it can sometimes take them a year to become established in a new home. They thrive in full sun, and prefer rich, well-draining soil. Crape Myrtles bloom on new wood, so the best time to prune is during the winter. You didn't mention how often you water, but once a week should be fine, as long as the soil drains well. Water stress can can stunt growth and retard blooming. Browning leaf tips could indicate over-watering, or could be the result of over-fertilization. Cut down on the watering frequency, providing one deep soaking per week during the hottest months of the year. Prune your tree back this winter to encourage new flowering stems and it should perform well for you next summer. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"