planting jap,maple - Knowledgebase Question

hebron, Ke
Question by brush1285
I'm going to plant a jap,maple,I have top soil, manure to add to planting hole.can you suggest any thing else that may help the tree to get a good start.I live in zone 6,It'very hot here now.

0

Maple trees generally tolerate all kinds of soil, as long as it drains well. While you can certainly use the manure to amend a large area of the garden, don't just mix it into the planting hole. If you do, the roots will remain in the planting hole where the soil is rich instead of venturing out into the native soil. If this happens, the plant can eventually strangle itself. To get your tree off to a good start, you'll want to dig a hole as deep and slightly wider than the nursery container. Then rough up the soil on the sides and bottom of the hole to help the roots find places to venture out. Unpot the tree and set it in the hole, making sure that the finished level will be the same soil level as the plant was growing in the container. (Not too deep, not too shallow). Then fill in around the sides with the soil you removed from the hole and tamp it down to remove any air pockets. When you're finished, water well to help settle the soil. You might also use some of the leftover soil to build a berm to hold water. This watering basin or watering well should be a circle of soil about 12" away from the plant and about 3-4" high. When you water, fill the basin and allow to drain, then fill it a second time. You should only have to water once a week (twice if the weather is really hot). Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture over the root mass and allow it to trickle down to fully saturate the roots. Best wishes with your new tree.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"