How to get ripe peaches? - Knowledgebase Question

Oakley, Ca
Question by peachesofhea
We have a peachtree & peaches are falling & the peaches are barely yellow & still very firm. How can we ripen the peaches BEFORE they fall & bruise?
Are we supposed to pick them before they fall & bruise? It seems that once they get yellow, that is as ripe as they will get. Is this normal?Is there anything we can do for them? Please help us.

0

Water stress can make the peaches drop before they are fully ripe, as can cool weather. Since peaches won't ripen once they've been removed from the tree your goal is to keep them on the tree for as long as possible. I don't know which variety of peach you are growing, but it may not be the right one for your climate. I'd suggest taking a few of the fruits into your local Cooperative Extension office for identification and some suggestions on how to get those fruits to ripen. Helpful folks at the extension office can provide lots of ideas for getting those fruits to ripen. Good luck with your tree.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"