Tomato plants - Knowledgebase Question

Mesick, Mi
Question by brehmerjaso
My dad somehow found a tomato plant growing behind his restaurant (Taco Bell). We have no idea how it got there but its just a little under a foot tall. He brought it home thinking it would be a waste to just leave it there and let it die in the frost season. I've read about container gardening but I want to know is how long a tomato plant will survive, inside and outside in a container and care.

0

What a lucky find! If protected from frost, tomato plants can live for 2-3 years. They grow best in full sunshine and you can plant yours in a 3-5 gallon bucket filled with regular potting soil. Be sure the container has drainage holes so excess water can drain out. Water when the top inch of soil dries out and feed every 2-3 weeks during the growing season with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. This will provide the nutrients your plant needs without the concern that you might overfeed and burn the roots. Indoors the plant will need an artificial source of light, kept on 14-16 hours a day. I use regular fluorescent shop lights - the kind that comes with a hood and chains for hanging. Hang the light only 4-5 inches above the top of the plant and keep the lights on 14-16 hours a day. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"