Problems Growing Vegetables In Tropics - Knowledgebase Question

San Marcos, IN
Question by helene1
I live in San Marcos, Nicaragua, Central America. I have planted numerous American seed plants - vegetable &/or flower - with failing results. Being a tropical climate our situations are not as the American seeds have been adapted to. Most all do germinate, but few reach maturity due to mold, rot, insects, blight and other things I've no idea on. Can you direct me to some seeds that are more adaptable to this tropical climate? If there is no such thing, can you advise a salvage project using homemade or natural herbicides/pesticides, please. It's next to impossible to locate commercial types here. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Yours Truly Helene Bigler

0

Locally produced seed is best adapted to your growing conditions. Do you know of any neighboring gardeners or farmers who are willing to share their seed sources and growing information with you?

These organizations may be able to suggest some sources of seed that is hardier to your area. Best of luck!

http://netra.avrdc.org.tw/home...

Jorge Echeverri

REDCAHOR / IIC

P.O. Box 6742-1000

San Jose, Costa Rica

phone (506) 229-0222

fax (506) 229-4689

jechever@iica.ac.cr