Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

commack, Ne
Question by jimmargs
Our lawn was looking great up until June. It started with straw colored patches. We applied insect killer & we do water. It has been spreading on our entire lawn. We applied grub killer 8/4. Please help or our lawn will be patches of straw with patches of green.

0

You may discover that the dry patches are cool season grasses that are dormant because of hot summer weather. They may green up when the weather cools. However, if the lawn has been green during the summer months up until this year, you may be dealing with a fungal disease, the soil may be compacted and as a result the water you apply is running off instead of penetrating down, or you may have a thick layer of thatch that is shedding water. I can't really diagnose the problem without actually seeing your lawn so the next best thing is to dig a patch, roots and all and take it into a Master Gardener Clinic, Cooperative Extension office, or well staffed nursery for help with diagnosis. Helpful folks there can determine just what the problem might be and can suggest control measures. I hope your lawn recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"