Using Round up in the vegetable garden - Knowledgebase Question

Sugar Land, Te
Question by paulalowranc
I have read your advice but my husband hasn't and I can not convince him to stop using Round up weed killer in the vegetable garden. I have suggested the fabric for gardens like you suggest. Who is right? Is Round Up safe to use in vegetable gardens? Thank you for helping me save my garden.

0

Round Up is a vegetation killer but it is not recommended for use near edible plants (read the label for the cautions). The good news it that it can be used when vegetables are not actively growing in the garden plot. Since the product does not travel in the soil it can be used to kill off unwanted weeds before you plant your veggies, as long as you dig and pull out the roots of the weeds and remove them from the garden. I'd use the weed barrier fabric or smother the weeds with cardboard, several thicknesses of newspaper. I think this is a safer approach when dealing with vegetable gardens.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"