Hosta care-bugs? - Knowledgebase Question

Stockbridge, Ge
Question by ccsu10649
When I purchased my house, 16 y.o., we had Hostas along the front (but not all the way down) in front of the shrubs. Last year, I had a landscaper add a few to the right of the old ones (they are not having any problems), then this year I purchased 8 from HD and I can't seem to get them to take...burnt edges & holes...I

0

Holes in the leaves of hostas are almost always due to slugs or snails. If you haven't had problems with your established hostas, I wonder if your landscaper imported them, or they were hitchhiking on your new hostas? Either way, you can control them with the iron based bait called Sluggo. Just sprinkle it around your hostas and it should control them.

Burned leaf edges might indicate too much sunshine for the varieties of hostas you selected, or could mean that the soil is not draining well enough for your plants. Try digging them up, incorporating lots of compost in the planting area, then replanting your hostas. I'd wait until this fall to renovate the planting area and replanting the hostas. This way they won't suffer a whole lot of transplant stress and will settle in over the fall and winter months, ready to grow nicely next spring. Good luck with your hostas!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"