How to plant a grass seed - Knowledgebase Question

baldwin park, Ca
Question by innocua
Dear Sir or Madam,
I need help on plant a grass seed. I have no ideas how to begin. My front yard is about 1000 sq ft. I have a lot an opinions but they are seems to be different from one another. I was wondering if you can provide some steps. I would be nice if I have a guidelines to follow. I locate in Southern CA. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Sincerely,

0

Seeding a new lawn is fairly straight-forward. The most important first step is in preparing your soil prior to broadcasting your seeds. I think I would start by rototilling the area and tilling in some organic matter to help loosen the soil. You can spread 3-4 inches of compost or peat moss over the lawn area and till it in to a depth of 6-8 inches. This will help your soil drain well and provide a loose and nutrient rich base for your new lawn. After incorporating the organic matter, spread some starter fertilizer on the area and rototill that in, then level the area, providing a slight slope for drainage away from the buildings. Once that's done you can broadcast your seed, then cover with chopped straw or peatmoss to keep the seed bed moist. Water as often as necessary to keep the seeds moist and they will sprout in 7-10 days. Enjoy your new lawn!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"