Apartment Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

hyattsville, Ma
Question by joniroberts6
I want to start gardening but I live in an apartment and am not sure how to best utilize my balcony. Are there any fruits, vegetables and or plants that are more apartment/balcony friendly? Also, I have a dog and I need to be able to house my plants out of her reach on the balcony. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this goal?

Thanks,
Joni

0

Most annual and perennial flowers adapt to growing in containers, and some veggies will grow in containers, as well. When choosing containers, make sure they have adequate drainage holes in the bottoms, and use potting mix rather than garden soil. Potting mixes contain organic material, sand and perlite or vermiculite, which makes them light, fast-draining and moisture retentive. The plants you choose should be specific to the environment. If it's a mostly shady spot, you can grow pansies and lettuce together. Or, grow impatiens, lobelia, campanula, or helleborus. The choice of annuals is almost limitless. If t's a sunny spot, choose sun loving petunias, coneflowers, sunflowers, etc. and use tomatoes, cucumbers, and green beans as companions. For some specific ideas, consult "Container Gardening for Dummies", published by IDG, ISBN# 0-7645-5057-8. The book is full of plant lists for specific situations, discusses the basics of watering and fertilizing, and provides lots of ideas for turning your deck or balcony into a colorful garden site. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"