"Baby" bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
When I dug up my gladiolus and lilies I noticed they had tiny bulbs attached to the parent bulb. How do I take care of these if I want them to grow into flowering bulbs later? Can I put the lily ones in soil now or do they also have to go through a cold period? can I put them in small pots or do they have to go in the garden. Any info. you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

0

You can replant your gladioli and lily bulbs directly into the garden now. As for the little bulblets, you can remove them from the mother bulb and plant them in containers or directly into the ground. It will take 2-3 years for them to grow large enough to flower but each should grow foliage next spring. Plant the little bulblets only twice as deep as they are wide. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"