When do I harvest my chives? - Knowledgebase Question

Wichita, Ka
Question by racecargirl9
When do I

0

Chives are perennial plants that grow in clumps and may reach 2' in height, but are generally kept cut back so the grass-like leaves can be used in the kitchen. They prefer growing in cool weather. Grow your chives in a partly sunny or lightly shaded garden site, in moist, fairly rich soil. Harvest by cutting the amount of foliage you need with a pair of scissors. The plants will remain evergreen in mild winter areas but will go dormant if winter weather is cold. If your plants become dormant, the roots will remain alive and will produce new foliage the following spring. Some gardeners allow the plants to develop flower stalks which produce a globe-like cluster of purple flowers. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"