mushrooms - Knowledgebase Question

hammond, In
Question by mlsuski
What causes mushrooms in my lawn after I mow it? Also, why are my roots yellow?

0

I think the problems are related. Mushroom grow from decomposing organic matter. In this case, they are probably sprouting from dead or dying roots, crowns, and/or stolons on the surface of the soil. The yellowing near the roots of your grass can indicate overwatering which is resulting in dead and dying crowns. There may be a soil compaction problem which is keeping water from draining down into the soil; there may be a thatch build up which is holding too much moisture. If your lawn is 4-5 years old or older, and you have not aerated it, I'd suggest doing so this fall. You'll also want to check for excessive thatch build up. Dig a 6" square of lawn and measure the thatch at the top of the soil. If it is an inch or more thick, it's time to dethatch your lawn. This, too, is a process you'll want to do in the fall or in the spring months. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"