Vinca - Knowledgebase Question

Newtown Square, Pe
Question by genecns
I purchased about two dozen vinca plants that were about 10 inches high and just starting to bloom. I planted them in my garden and watered them. Almost half the plants began to get tip wilting . The tips would die off and wilting would start over again.
This process would continue until the plant died. The plants that were not effected are florishing. What happen?

0

There are two types of vinca: Madagascar periwinkle, which is an annual, and Vinca minor, which is an evergreen perennial. Madagascar periwinkle grows best in full sunshine, in well draining soils; vinca minor prefers shady conditions and rich, moist soil. If the plants were wilting at the tips it indicates a water stress (usually too much water), or soils that do not drain well. If this happens again, try pinching or cutting off the browning stems to stop the progression and to encourage healthy new growth. Hope this information helps you determine whether it's exposure to sunshine or poorly draining soils that are causing the dieback.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"