Sugar Maple Tree problem - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Ar
Question by nini_nanni
The leaves on my sugar maple turned a light green and now red this summer. The tree is almost 3 years old. The leaves are not dry or dead. I water frequently and fertilized a few weeks ago. We had alot of rain in the spring but a very, very hot summer. Thanks.

0

It's difficult to diagnose without seeing the plant so I can only offer some educated observations: young trees can respond to unseasonably cold weather by changing the color of the leaves as if it were fall. It's a chemical response to cold nights and since the leaves generally change colors in the fall, your tree may be over-reacting to the weather. The second most common reason for color change is heat stress. Usually only a portion of the tops of the leaves are affected, not the entire leaf. There are no diseases associated with premature leaf color change - it's environmental - so at this point there's really nothing you can do to change the leaf color back again. Just continue to give your sugar maple TLC. I'm sure it will leaf out just fine next spring and if the weather is right, will maintain that color until the fall. good luck with your tree!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"