hungry rabbits - Knowledgebase Question

Worcester, Ma
Question by golden01520
I have a problem with rabbits in my garden. They are eating things I never thought they liked, such as cone flowers, mums, and other perennials. Can you recommend flowers (perennials) I could plant that rabbits don't like to eat? Thank you

0

Unfortunately there is no list of rabbit-proof plants; they seem to eat just about whatever is available at my house. A fence is usually the most reliable defense -- use chicken wire, 2 feet high and buried about 6 inches deep. A pet dog or cat can be a good deterrent, too. Some gardeners report success using some of the commercially available repellent sprays applied and reapplied according to the label directions. You can also try some of the home remedies such as cayenne pepper mixed with garlic and sprayed around the lawn or blood meal or dog or cat hair sprinkled on and between the plants. You can even try to scare them by burying empty soda pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground (they whistle in the wind). Using a combination of things and changing them often may work, but the only real guarantee is a fence. Good luck with your flowers!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"