RE: Crab Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Sicklerville, Ne
Question by vince33
I'm getting a lot of crab grass in my backyard. How can I prevent it and how do I repair the back yard. I put fertilizer down in mid-April & early-July.
Thanks,

Vince

0

Depending upon the type of turfgrass you are growing, there are some products that specifically target crabgrass but are not safe to use on some types of turfgrass. If you use one of these products, make sure your grass type is listed on the label. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass but they last only about 30 days. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedling. Late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. At this point, you might want to try raking the crabgrass out or hand pulling. Next spring use a pre-emergent such as Scotts Turfbuilder plus Halts. That should keep the crabgrass under control. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of October and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"