What to grow on a hill - Knowledgebase Question

Federal Way, Wa
Question by JessC821
We have an embankment in our backyard that right now is dirt with weeds. We have quite a bit of local wildlife (and rain), so laying down weed block and bark didn't work. We're looking for what we can do that wouldn't require a ton of upkeep, but that would look nice. Thanks for your help!!

0

I'd plant a groundcover in the area and I'd go with a native plant. Native's don't require a lot of care. They grow well in our climate and once established usually do not need supplemental watering. You didn't mention whether the planting site is sunny or shady so here's a suggestion for each: Arctostaphylos uva-ursi ?Vancouver Jade? (kinnikinnik). It's a fantastic evergreen ground cover for hot dry slopes. Once established, it does not like water or fertilizer. Pink flowers followed by red berries and green leaves that bronze maroon in winter make this plant a year round joy. ?Vancouver Jade? is an improved cultivar with better disease resistance.

Bunchberry (Creeping Dogwood) is an excellent native groundcover for a shady spot.
Green flowers surrounded by showy greenish white, sometimes pink flushed, flower bracts and whorls of green leaves that remain evergreen in most of the Pacific Northwest maritime climate are its attributes.

For even more ideas, visit the Washington Native Plant Society homepage. There you will find lists of plants for specific uses (sun, shade, groundcover, attractive wildlife, etc.) I hope you find it helpful!

Here's their website: http://www.wnps.org/landscapin...

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"