too much manure? - Knowledgebase Question

Pleasantville, Ne
Question by scmonaco
In my annual graden I spread manure, I think I may have put too much manure. Some of my plants are robust, but some, all fron the same lot, are a pale green,and not robust. How can I counter act what I think is too much manure w/o starting over?

0

Too much of a good thing is almost as bad as not enough. The manure will break down this season and you can dig it into your soil. Don't add manure next spring and you'll allow the balance to return to your soil. If the manure was fresh, it could contain concentrations of urea, which can burn the roots and make the plants look pale. There's not much you can do to counteract this condition - the plants are already affected - but as the manure ages and begins to decompose, the urea will leach away, leaving only the bulky organic matter which will help loosen the soil. I'd just contine to water your plants on a regular basis and just put up with the puny ones. Aside from digging them up and moving them, I think that's the best approach. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"