Pecan Tree (Nuts) - Knowledgebase Question

Laredo, Te
Question by jsalinas07
We have a 40'-50' pecan tree & the nuts have been falling from the tree. At the end of the limb there is a bunch(3-4)of pecans. Of the bunch one has turned dark nearly black. I pickrd one and noticed that it had a sticky subtance (like moss) I moved it and out came a bug w/ a black tail.It had made a hole in the nut and rotted it. The whole tree is that way. What can I do to stop them?

0

There are two common pecan pests that fit the description -- the pecan weevil and the pecan shuckworm (also called hickory shuckworm). Your pecans may be infested by one or the other, or both. In any case, you can reduce the extent of the problem if you pick up and destroy fallen nuts at the end of the season, since that's where the shuckworm overwinters. It also helps to cultivate the soil under the tree to a depth of about 3 inches during late February or early March. Weevils are more difficult to control. If it's practical, you can shake the adults from the tree. Place tarps under the branches and shake them to dislodge the feeding, breeding weevils, and destroy them. These pests overwinter in the soil at a depth of up to 12 inches, making cultivation impractical and likely to damage tree roots. Fortunately, weevil infestations tend to come in cycles, becoming a problem every two or three years.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"