Winterizing potted trees/shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by vantimuro
I have 3 miniature arborvitae trees planted in clay pots. How can I winterize them. They will have to remain outside and there is no where to plant them in the ground.
Thank you.

0

Arborvitae are tolerant of cold weather but wind can dessicate them so you might consider spraying them with Wilt-Pruf or some other anti-dessicant. Aside from wind burn, the major problem with plants in containers over the winter months is that the roots can freeze solid which can kill the plants. You may be able to insulate the pots by wrapping them with insulating material or by lining a cardboard box with sheets of styrofoam and setting the pot inside, setting more insulation on top of the pot. You should water your plants during the winter. Overly dry soil can kill the plant. If the soil is protected from freeze it will accept water which will keep the roots of your plant hydrated. Hope you have better luck with your balcony plants this winter!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"