Deer eating Hibiscus Tree - Knowledgebase Question

New Port Richey, Fl
Question by cookie12
I planted a young Hibiscus Tree in my garden and the deer are eating the buds, flowers and leaves and stripping my tree bare. What can I do to discourage them from my tree??

0

Deer love the tender leaves of hibiscus so about the only way to protect your plant is to place a barrier between it and the deer. Fencing is the most effective but it's not very attractive. But, if it's the only way to protect your hibiscus, it might be the way to go. You can make a cylinder out of chicken wire to place over your plant or you can try a 4' tall chicken wire fence placed about 4' out from your plant. Deer won't have room to jump the fence to get out so they may not jump to get in, plus the barrier should keep them from reaching over and nibbling on your hibiscus. There are deer deterrents you might also try. Liquid Fence, Ropel and Deer Away can be effective if used according to label directions. Hope one of these strategies works for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"