Chrysanthemum - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenixville, Pe
Question by bmurph237
A month ago I planted chrysanthemum plants in my garden that gets light all day. Recently ALL of the flowers turned brown, and I plucked them ALL off. The leaves are still green and there are a lot of new flower buds that might bloom. Is this normal maintenance, are they dying, or was this a result of the extreme heat we received in PA? How should I proceed with care (water, pruning etc.)

0

The browning flower buds can indicate a heat or water stress issue or it may have been Botrytis, a fungal disease. You did the right thing in removing the browned flower buds. If they were affected by a fungal disease, you effectively removed the fungal spores so they won't spread to other parts of the plant. After the current flowers open and are spent, prune them off, along with some of the stem. On the stems that are not currently developing flowers, pinch them back by a couple of inches to a set of leaves. The plant will respond by developing two stems where there was once one, and both those stems should produce flowers in 3-4 weeks. The more you pinch and prune, the bushier your mums will become, and the more flowers they will produce. Enjoy your mums.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"