Cotoneaster Cranberry - Knowledgebase Question

Grand View, Id
Question by heartsandqui
I planted 3 cotoneaster cranberry bushes in full sun like the tag said and it also said to keep them moist. But they are all dying. The leaves are turning brown but still have green ones too. What should I do? Am I over or under watering them?

0

It's difficult to diagnose a plant problem without seeing it! If you've recently planted your cotoneasters, transplant shock may be causing the leaves to drop. Once the roots become established you should see healthy new growth. It may also be that the plants were not growing in full sunshine at the nursery and now that they are getting full sun, the leaves are burning in the hot afternoon sun. If this is the case, the new leaves that develop will be more tolerant of the sun. Finally, overwatering can cause the symptoms you describe. Cotoneaster needs to be deeply soaked twice a week during the summer months; once a week the rest of the year. It may be that the combination of transplant stress plus overwatering are taking their toll. I hope your plants perk up soon!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"