Hibiscus blooms - Knowledgebase Question

Buffalo, Ne
Question by jwiat
I bought a Hibiscus tree last year and it did really great with lots of flowers. I wintered it over in the house and had some fowers during the winter. It did get aphids but I treated it with soapy water and cleared it up. This year I brought it outside and it has loads of leaves, very full, but no flowers. Was this just a one shot deal or can I expect it to bloom every year? Were the aphids

0

You should get flowers when the weather suits your hibiscus. I find that they bloom profusely in the spring, sparsely in the dog days of summer, then profusely again when the summer temperatures begin to cool slightly. I think you'll still get flowers this year - when the weather suits your hibiscus. I don't think the aphids did anything to slow or stop the flowering process. Just continue to give your plant TLC and try feeding it with a bloom booster type plant food. Since your plant is in a container you'll want to be careful not to overfeed, which can burn the roots. So try giving a half strength dilution of a bloom booster type fertilizer and see if that doesn't prompt some flowering. Hope it does!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"