Why are leaves on my Cherry Hedges turning Brown? - Knowledgebase Question

Grand Prairie, Te
Question by corkmiller
The hedges are watered every other day due to the extreme heat, but yet about 40% of the leaves have died and others are partially dis-colored. Why?

0

If the brown leaves are crispy, sunscald is the reason; if the leaves are brown but pliable, overwatering is the cause. Even though the weather is hot, your hedges may not need to be watered every other day unless the soil is sandy and does not hold moisture. If you have clay type soils which hold lots of water, you could be suffocating the roots. Even when the top of the soil seems dry, clay soils can hold quite a bit of water down near the root zone. Try probing the soil with a stick or metal rod. It will be easy to push into moist soil but you'll feel some resistance if the soil is dry. The key is to have adequate moisture near the rootzone. Try watering as usual and then waiting 2-3 days and checking the soil moisture content. You may find that you only need to water twice a week rather than every other day. When the soil is saturated it drives out oxygen which can effectively suffocate the roots. So, do the moisture test and water according to needs. I hope your plants perk up soon!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"