care of perennials - Knowledgebase Question

clarion, Pe
Question by vavrek
Greetings: two questions, please. Is this time of year ok to transplant/divide cone flowers?
Also, my success with hydrangeas is weak. Over the last 3 years I have moved my plant from shade, sun, to some shade.

0

Hydrangeas seem to perform best in rich, moist soil, in an area that gets 4 hours of morning sun but shade from hot afternoon sunshine. I'd wait until the weather cools this fall and move the plant to a site that gets morning sunshine. Start by preparing the soil in a large area (not just the planting hole). Spread 4-5 inches of compost or other organic matter over the area and dig it in to a depth of about 10 inches. When the organic matter is well incorporated, dig a planting hole to accommodate the roots and set the plant so it will be growing at the same soil level as it was before. Water well after planting to help settle the soil, then water once or twice a week (depending upon weather). In the spring your hydrangea should thrive and flower nicely for you. It might be a little early in the season to dig and divide your coneflowers. I'd wait until the end of August to do so. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"