Japan dwarf weeping flowering cherry - Knowledgebase Question

HOOVER, Al
Question by weinberg69
My dwarf flowering cherry is a weeping Snow Fountain. It has all the branches hanging on 1 side. should I try to redistribute them? How? Also, when do I feed it? It was planted this spring and got mites or something & is suffering in this AL(zone 8) heat. I sprayed. any advice?

0

I wouldn't do anything to the weeping cherry at this time. Wait until this winter when the branches are bare and then see if you can prune off some of the excessive branches or move them in another direction to help fill out the canopy of the tree. You can gently tie the branches in the direction you want them to grow or use wooden spacers to provide enough room between the branches. You can feed your tree in the spring, after it has finished flowering. Use a time release 10-10-10 or similar fertilizer, in amounts as recommended on the label. Sorry that mites found your new tree! Now that you've sprayed it, it should remain insect free for the remainder of the season. Good luck with your tree!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"