New Fescue Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by jmvalentin05
I am planting a new fescue lawn. I am in Georgia and it's going into the fall. I am doing it in fall because each year I have seeded in spring the grass grows in great but dies during the summer. I assume its from the heat. What do I need to do to ensure a good strong growth and sustain it? I don't mind working hard to have a nice lawn but so far I am working hard and getting no lasting re results

0

Fescue is a cool season grass and you can establish it in the fall months. It will have ample time to develop a healthy root system before summer weather arrives. The problem with fescue is that it is a cool season grass and will die out in the hot summer months but it will green up again in the fall when the weather cools. If you want a lawn that remains green all year around, you'll need to plant both warm season and cool season grasses. Warm season grasses such as bermuda are green from April through September, but go dormant at that time. If you overseed bermuda with a cool season grass such as perennial ryegrass, it will green up when the bermuda goes dormant and it will go dormant at the time the bermuda is greening up. With this in mind, you may want to rethink the type of turfgrass you are planting. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"