Pumpkin Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Watertown, Co
Question by holycrosskid
Im worried. My pumpkin plants have the powdery mildew on them, that I've read about from previous questions. I'm just wondering if my pumpkins will be ok?

0

Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that overwinters on living plants. There are some things you can do to minimize problems with powdery mildew. This disease is unique among plant diseases in that it doesn't require a wet leaf surface to spread. It can thus thrive during hot, dry weather. The general advice to inhibit the spread of fungal diseases is to avoid wetting leaf surfaces. In the case of powdery mildew, however, you can actually inhibit infection with periodic strong sprays of water (not so strong as to damage the plant.) Here are some general rules for control. Start by making sure that your plants are getting enough direct sunlight. (Eight to ten hours a day is generally the minimum for plants that flower or bear fruit.) You'll also want to make sure that there's enough room between plants for air to circulate freely. Overcrowding not only makes plants more susceptible to diseases, if leaves touch other plants, those diseases can easily be spread. Some people report success with this home-made spray: Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 2 1/2 tablespoons of ultra-fine horticultural oil in a gallon of water. Apply as a spray as soon as the mildew appears and every 10-14 days thereafter. Be sure to coat all surfaces. If you can control the powdery mildew, your pumpkins should be able to ripen on time. Good luck with your pumpkins!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"