crepe myrtle that doesnt bloom - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by annieschiltz
My crepe Myrtle is over 15 years old. The very top branches get buds that look like they are going to bloom, but usually dont. This year some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow. It appears to have been declining for the past 2-3 years. Can it be saved ? or is it just getting old?

0

Crepe myrtle blooms on new growth so to get the best display you'll want to prune it in early spring, just as new growth begins. If your tree is stressed it may develop flower buds but not have the energy to open them. The best approach is to make sure it is healthy throughout the summer season so it will be ready to grow and bloom the following spring. I'd feed it now with a slow release fertilizer such as a 5-10-10 or 10-20-20 and water it deeply once each week for the rest of the growing season. Yellowing leaves at this time of year in your climate are probably due to heat stress but you might check the leaves for signs of aphid feeding (sticky coating on the leaves). I hope some TLC this summer and pruning next spring will help renovate your crepe myrtle and it will reward you with lots of flowers. Good luck with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"