increasing growth of shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Longmont, Co
Question by kayecklund
how can increas the growth of my privacy shrubs? (golden vicary privet)

0

Pruning will stimulate new growth and help the shrubs thicken up and provide dense privacy so I'd suggest pruning your privets. Late winter or early spring is an ideal pruning time. It's true that with this pruning time you will lose the early white blooms of the Golden Vicary, but they are pretty insignificant anyway. To keep the shrub natural looking, cut back branches individually at different levels so they don't end up with a "crewcut" appearance. It's easier to prune the shrub on a regular yearly schedule, rather than waiting until the privet is too overgrown. I think if you prune in the late winter or early spring you'll see lots of new growth and by this time next year your privet hedge will be taller and thicker than they are now.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"