plant bearing white flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburg, Ca
Question by chasolis
My tomato plant which I grew from seed started bearing flowers but they're white. The first batch just fell off and did not result in fruit. I am presuming the current flowers will follow the same fate. What could be causing this? Not pollinated?Thanks so much.

0

Tomato plants bear white flowers so it will be interesting to see what your plant develops once the flowers set seeds. Sounds like an odd number of chromosomes is causing the odd colored flowers! As for non-production, a couple of possibilities come to mind: Tomato pollen isn't viable when temperatures are much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. The good news is that once a plant begins to set fruit, others usually follow. So at this point it's a bit of a waiting game. Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated. There aren't as many pollinators around as in past years. Try gently tapping and shaking your plants in the early morning to see if you can get the pollen to move to the female parts of the flowers so some fruit to set. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"