Dollar Weed - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by vschnurr
I live in Tampa,Florida.
I exeroscaped my yard. I have asiatic Jasmin with Dollar Weed creeping up.

I have mulch sections with Dollar weed also. I tried using sugar but that did not work. What can I use so I will not kill the jasmine.
Thanks. My yard looks really good.

0

Dollarweed, also called Pennywort, is a small broadleaf weed. The best way to get rid of it is to hand pull it out, roots and all. There are no weed killers that will control the dollar weed without harming your jasmine because both the weed and the jasmine are broadleaf plants and the chemicals will not know the difference between the weeds and the plants. I'm afraid the best option is to pull out the dollar weed, roots and all, then cover over the bare soil between your jasmine plants so the dollar weed seeds cannot germinate. Or, use a corn gluten meal based pre emergent such as Preen around the bed. Preen will keep weed seeds from sprouting but will not harm established plants. Or, if you are careful to apply only to the Dollar Weed, you can use a product such as Wipe Out by Green Light. It is a vegetation killer so you need to keep it off your jasmine but you may be able to brush it onto the weeds to kill them without harming your jasmine. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"